Monday, June 18, 2012

9 Things I'm Looking Forward to at N.S.L.C.

What was your "best ever?"  Many of us can reflect on a memorable family vacation where, for once, everyone got along and no one came down with a cold or food poisoning...or, maybe it's a road trip with your best friends, when the driver never got lost, the passenger-seat-DJ always chose the right track, and even the unexpected hiccups worked out in your favor. For me, the best ever was the Best Summer Ever in 2010, when I first worked at the National Student Leadership Conference at the University of Maryland. That June, I came full circle with NSLC, because in 2004 I was a student in the very same Medicine and Healthcare program, back when Chuck Taylors and layered tanks were my wardrobe of choice.

Before the Best Summer Ever started, I couldn't imagine I would bond so well with my fellow staff members who, weeks before, were complete strangers. Our life experiences were so different- some agnostics; some biology majors; one a fan of techno, and another a vegetarian. But, we ate ribs, prayed, laughed, and danced in harmony for three months. We laughed and talked in that way because we knew we existed in a space of our own...no naysayer or FBI-issued wire tap could breach the realm of security and acceptance we shared. No one else who wasn't a part of us could understand how so many different I's formed such a supportive team. Thrown into the trenches, facing nearly 1000 high school students over the course of 12 weeks, we survived together what no man or woman could handle on their own...it was the epitome of a "you had to be there" experience, and thank God, I was.

Here we are, two years later. I know I'm a lot different than I was back then, so who knows how different each of this year's staff will be from each other? Many would worry at a moment like this, wishing they would be arriving in a time machine and going back to Summer 2010. But I have to say, I'm looking forward to a brand new, and completely unique summer. I know nothing will ever be like Summer 2010. And, I don't want it to be. The problem with having the "best ever" of something is that try as you might to recreate it, in reality, perfection can't be planned. That awesome road trip won't turn out the same as the first time, because there will undoubtedbly be a new detour on your route.  I know that NSLC makes people change. We grow, whether we want to or not. This program is more about building relationships than any workshop or leadership training, because if it wasn't, none of the staff would return summer after summer, hoping to get a taste of the best ever. But, I'm back, and though I know there will be moments I can't anticipate, I know at NSLC I can count on having a good time. I'm looking forward to new memories, new friends, and the nine things listed below. It won't be the Best Ever, but Summer 2012 is definitely going to be perfect and memorable in its own way. And, that's the best way it could be.

1. Hugs. I'm a really affectionate person, but I know people get a little nervous sometimes when you hug too long, and so I became a butt-out hugger. You know...when you embrace someone with your arms, but the rest of your body is playing hide and go seek with the other person's pelvis. Not this summer. As emotions and what not abound, I'm hugging everyone like this:



2. "New" Music. I don't have a car radio (or a car for that matter,) and anyone who knows anything knows that driving around is usually my favorite way to listen to music. I try to stay updated with Spotify, Twitter, and blogs, but oftentimes the radio hits that everyone else feels are played out and overrated are brand new to me. I hope to be singing along to some Ke$ha and Bieber by summer's end.

3. Making it clear. Nothing puts your life in perspective than having to explain life to a 14-year old. I hope the conversations I have with my students as someone older and wiser (who, me?) will help me to realize what's important. At that age, they just want to know that one day they can achieve what they've always dreamed of, and I want to be an example of a "grown-up" who didn't sell out and is still going after her dreams.

4. Getting in shape. Ugh...I'm only writing this down so you guys can hold me accountable. In my head, I envision a peaceful morning run through campus, followed by a healthy breakfast and a shower, before I meet up with my students. I'm not sure how many 7:00AM field trips it will take to persuade me that this is probably a bad idea.

5. Icebreakers. I'm not ashamed to say this, but I love team-building activities. They really do help to break that fourth wall and skip the whole "so, what's your major?" nonsense and other typical conversation starters. Add in a little competition, and I'm the happiest girl in the world.

6. Forgetting I'm supposed to worry about... well, a lot of things. We'll be so busy worrying about our kids and making sure the program goes off without a hitch, that I can stop fretting over callbacks and future plans and let God do his thing without me badgering him everyday. Everything happens in its due time, so in the mean time, in between time, I'll work my thing, and it'll be fine.

7. Free Food. Add this to the explanation in number 4 as reasons why my goal to work out and get in shape will probably be for naught.

8. Inside jokes. Let's let fun happen. I'm still Facebooking my Summer '10 students about pastries in my cup. I want a summer full of mouth-open-but-no-sound-coming-out, eyes closed, belly-aching laughter.

9. Wearing a uniform. I spend far too much time in the morning picking out what I'm going to wear, then changing it three times. I love that this part of my day will be taken care of for me, and that I won't be wearing my after-school clothes as often, meaning less wear and tear on those bad boys and most importantly- less laundry.

1 comment:

  1. Aw... This was such a great read. I hope you have a great time Celeste. Naturally it'll be hard to replace perfection but I'm sure it'll be a great time regardless.

    ReplyDelete